Thursday, July 16, 2015

A new start

Have you ever had a year so challenging that you questioned your career choice? Yep, that was me this past year. I had 3 very successful years at my previous school but had to make the difficult decision to leave. I was offered a position at a closer school, still 25 min from home, but I was excited for the shorter drive.

This year was the hardest year of teaching I've ever experienced. When you set personal goals for yourself and your students, and it seems as if none of them were accomplished, it is extremely disheartening. I tried every trick in the "teacher" book only to feel as if my efforts were in vain. I left the classroom in April with just 9 weeks left in the year. I was emotionally, mentally, and physically beaten down. Yay for upbeat posts, right?

The school I was working in did not have a healthy morale. Teacher bullying was prevalent and there was little to no support. There is a lot of craziness going on in the school system right now, so it doesn't surprise me to see people leaving. It just makes me sad to leave the profession. I loved teaching. Someday I might go back, but many things will have to change before that happens.

I have decided to stay at home with my sweet kids for now. I'll be able to help out my son's school as a parent(!) and although it hurts my heart, I won't be returning to teach this year.

I hope some of the tips I share help you have an easier, more enjoyable school year. I'll also be sharing some of the products I create for TPT!

No comments:

Post a Comment